Basic Life Support 2015
(formerly BLS for Health Care Provider or BCLS - Basic Cardiac Life Support)
Heart & Stroke Foundation
LENGTH OF COURSE :
- BLS Provider Course - (New and Returning Students) 1 half day in class (Approx. 4 Hours total)
- BLS for Experienced Provider Course (Experienced Provider with current BLS certification) 1 quarter day in class (Approx. 2 hours 15 minutes)
- Multiple classes offered weekly - Class #1 (Morning 9am-1:00pm) Class #2 (Afternoon 1pm-5:00pm) Class #3 (Evening 5pm-9:00pm)
Our classes are offered in a four hour time slot and course length may vary depending on class size. At Saving Grace Medical Academy we offer smaller class sizes for more personalized student instruction.
- BLS Provider Course - $85.00 GST Included
- BLS for Experienced Provider Course - $85.00 GST Included
COURSE MATERIALS :
- New Students - Heart and Stroke Foundation BLS Provider Manual (print [RE3310E] or eBook [RE3310ED]), available for purchase at Heart and Stroke Foundation's Heart Shop or provided in class
- Recertification - Manual provided for in class study. Please refer to our BLS Renewal page for more details.
VALID FOR :
- This Certificate is Valid for 1 year through The Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Valid & Required for Nurses, Healthcare Providers, EMS and Fire
RECOGNIZED BY :
- Alberta Health Services, Capital Health, Covenant Health, Alberta College of Paramedics, NAIT, U of A
BLS Renewal (FAQ):
Q: I have an expired BLS course completion card; can I take the 2015 BLS renewal course?
A: No; the Heart & Stroke BLS renewal course requires a current (taken within the last 12 months and current to the most recent Guidelines release) Heart & Stroke BLS provider card as a prerequisite. The new BLS renewal course is an accelerated course that does not re-teach each component covered in the Heart & Stroke BLS provider course. Rather, it assumes providers have retained the knowledge and understanding of these components. If you do not have a comprehensive understanding of the Heart & Stroke BLS provider course content and are not proficient in BLS skills, it is unlikely that you will successfully complete the BLS renewal course.
The HSFC does not recognize a grace period for certification expiry. However, when a provider is unable to present a course completion card (or HSFC written evidence of qualification) the instructor may admit a participant who frequently uses the skills and knowledge of BLS or ALS in their workplace or related volunteer activities. If a person does not successfully complete the recertification course, they will be required to attend a full certification course.
AVAILABILITY OF COURSE
- BLS Provider Course - None. Recommended for health care professionals who do not use these skills on a regular basis.
- BLS for Experienced Provider Course - Current (NOT EXPIRED) Basic Life Support Provider certificate from the Heart & Stroke Foundation. Recommended for health care professionals who actively use these skills on a regular basis.
ENGLISH - This course is Taught and Tested in English and you must have a "Moderate to High" Level of Reading / Writing / Speaking English.
- The Alberta College of Paramedic's will accept both the Standard First Aid through the Canadian Red Cross & St.John's Ambulance and also the Basic Life Support Provider. Please refer to your Employer for details on which course fulfills the requirements in your area. For all working within Alberta Health Services this is the course most commonly requested to meet the AHS standards.
Swoop into First Aid and Give a Breath of Life, Let First Aid Training Be your Saving Grace.
TM The Heart and Stroke Foundation logo and word mark are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada and are used under license.